What is the Best Way to Study?
Sue Shellenbarger, writing in The Wall Street Journal, offered these tips from academic experts:
- "testing yourself repeatedly before an exam teaches the brain to retrieve and apply knowledge from memory..."
- "Review the toughest material right before going to bed the night before the test. That approach makes it easier to recall the material later..."
- "don't wake up earlier than usual to study; this could interfere with the rapid-eye-movement sleep that aids memory..."
- "Everybody knows you should eat breakfast the day of a big test. High-carb, high-fiber, slow-digesting foods like oatmeal are best..."
- "While many... insist they study better while listening to music or texting their friends, research shows the opposite: Information reviewed amid distractions is less likely to be recalled later...